Stylish Storage: The Best Bike Baskets and Pannier Bags
Besides safety, comfort is a crucial factor when cycling. Take carrying items while pedalling, for example. It takes a real effort to haul something heavy on your back or on the handlebar, dangling, and move forward. Not only does this add extra weight onto the bicycle but also to the rider itself.
Having the right bike bags can make all the difference in your riding experience. We’re talking about baskets and pannier bags. Here, we’ll explore the best ones on the market and help you find the right ‘storage’ for your needs.
A bicycle basket is an attachment to bikes designed to carry cargo. It’s a luggage carrier add-on, ideal for those who are in need of extra space on their two wheels. It can be mounted on the front of the bike or on the rear.
Bike baskets come in various shapes, sizes, and materials such as metal, plastic, or wicker. They’re useful for carrying groceries, books, or items that may be too bulky or heavy to carry while cycling. This makes the go-to bike attachments for urban commuters and recreational riders alike.
Here are some of the benefits of bike baskets and why you should consider adding one to your two wheels:
- Convenience. The most obvious benefit of bike baskets is their convenience. A basket allows you to easily carry items with you on your bicycle, even your furry friend. This saves you from having to carry a heavy backpack or shoulder bag while cycling.
- Improved balance. Carrying a backpack can throw off your balance and make it more difficult to control your bike. But with a bike basket, the weight is distributed evenly on your bike. This makes it easier to maintain balance and control.
- Stylish. Bike baskets come in a variety of styles and colours, making it easy to find one that fits your personal style. For a more traditional approach, go for a classic wicker basket, be it for a kid or adult. Or a metal bike basket for something modern.
So why not give it a try and see how a bike basket can improve your ride?
Pronounced as pan-ee-yer, a pannier attaches to the sides of a bike’s rear rack or front fork. Like a basket, it offers extra storage, except with compartments, pockets, and straps. Great carrying clothes, camping gear, and other items that a cyclist may need on their journey.
Pannier bags are typically made of durable materials such as nylon or polyester. Depending on the size and design, one can carry more than just a backpack or messenger bag.
Here are some of the top benefits of using bicycle pannier bags:
- Increased storage capacity. Every cyclist needs all the extra storage they can get. With bicycle pannier bags, this solves their problem! This means you can carry more items without having to worry about overloading. Commuting to work? Embarking on a long-distance cycling trip? Waterproof panniers can help you carry everything you need!
- Improved weight distribution. Pannier bags help distribute weight evenly across your bike’s rear rack. This can make your bike feel more stable and easier to handle when carrying heavy items. Additionally, rear panniers help reduce the strain on your back and shoulders.
- Versatility. Like a rear basket, a pannier comes in a variety of styles and sizes. Be it for running errands or commuting to work, there’s a bag that’s right for you.
Whether it’s for storage or comfortable bike rides, panniers are a great investment!
The Best Bike Baskets and Pannier Bags
Having a reliable bike basket or pannier bag can make all the difference. But with so many options on the market, how do you know which one to choose?
Starting off with wicker baskets, then metal baskets:
Cambridge Bike Basket
The improved Cambridge bike basket features high-quality European wicker. Its design also features a plaited lip and squared-off corners.
- Basket dimensions: L: 46cm x D: 36cm x H: 27cm
- Recommended weight limit: 4kg.
Express Bike Basket - Breton Stripes
If you just want a front basket that’s elegant and incredibly easy to fit, this is for you! The Express bike basket in a deluxe stripy rattan version. Two carry handles allow you to take the basket off and into the shops, then back home and into your house.
- Basket dimensions: L: 36cm x H: 25cm x D: 26cm
- Fits handlebars with 22.2mm diameter
- Maximum weight: 5 kg
Shire Kids Bike Basket
The Shire kid’s bike basket is a hobbity front basket with a chunky wicker weave. Dimensions: D: 25cm x H: 18cm
Steel Front Bike Basket
A neat, functional and elegant front bicycle basket, made from powder-coated steel. It looks great and adjusts to fit bikes with 22.2mm diameter handlebars with 26” or 700c wheels. Dimensions: (top) L: 36cm x W: 23cm, (bottom) L: 31cm x W: 18cm x D: 24cm
Rack Basket - Silver
Quick release clamp included that allows you to take it on and off. It fit its on racks from 12 to 15.9cm wide.
Pannier Bike Basket
Fits securely onto your rear carrier with sturdy hooks and an adjustable clip system. Made from powder-coated steel and is super-easy to detach and carry as you stroll around.
Now onto bicycle pannier bags:
Designed for shopping and commuting, the Daytripper looks smart on and off your bike! Made from powder-coated steel and is available in multiple colour options.
Button Double Pannier
The Double Pannier lives for its name as it’s a two-bag joined together. It features a simple style while offering plenty of space for storage.
Toggle Double Pannier
This model is almost the same as the button one, except it features toggles instead of buttons. It has charming leather toggle closures and nickel hardware. What’s more, a sturdy carry handle on top and a detachable shoulder strap.
When it comes to choosing a bike basket or pannier bag, there’s no shortage of options. But considering factors, e.g. storage capacity, durability and ease of use, can be a game-changer.
Looking to buy some bike baskets or panniers bags of your own? Explore the Bobbin range!